Thursday, July 5, 2012

RECIPE: The Perfect Steak Marinade

I know yesterday was the 4th of July. And I know as a food blogger, I'm supposed to make some sort of patriotic dessert like a star-spangled apple pie or a red, white, and blue parfait.

But here's the thing: I didn't feel like it.

For starters, I don't actually like parfait. I don't even like fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt. I love raspberries, and I love yogurt, but nary the two shall meet in my cup.

So I decided to make a big, juicy steak instead. U-S-A! U-S-A!

And I declared independence (see what I did there?) from bottled barbecue sauce and made my own slammin' marinade.



YUM. I'm eating the leftovers as I'm writing this.

Just a sidenote, I used local honey (from Mill Creek Apiary) in this recipe. We keep it around for our allergies. If you haven't tried it yet, local honey is insanely effective at keeping seasonal allergies at bay.  (You should probably talk to a doctor first if you have severe allergies.) I'd like to thank my hubby's friend Mike for this little gem of holistic brilliance -- I went from wanting to decapitate myself last season to feeling mildly stuffy this season. And all I had to do was drink sugar. GOOD DEAL.

Anyway. Back to the beef. You'll need:

  • 2-3 lb. London broil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Papa Joe's salt (or a mix of sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder)


1. Throw everything in a Ziploc bag and marinate overnight, massaging the bag occasionally. Just stick it on the middle shelf so whenever you open the fridge, you're like, "Hey, there's my bag o' steak. I should massage it."



2. After it's had 24 hours to soak in, grill it up like you normally would! For me, that means handing it to my husband and saying, "Here, grill this. And don't overcook it!" (I'm very helpful.)


Good job, hubby! I'd say "well done" but it was more like medium-well, am I right? (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)


Then eat. Perfection!

3 comments:

  1. Drool. Okay, question! How long does your hubs grill it for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He grilled over low heat for...maybe 10 minutes on each side? Just long enough to get the snazzy grill marks and a teensy bit of crustiness, but still pink in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- and there's a correction in the recipe -- 1/2 cup of soy sauce, not 2 cups! :)

    ReplyDelete