But it also means I have to find uses for vegetables I'm not acquainted with, like the freakishly large head of cabbage we got last week. Luckily, while researching cabbage recipes, I found that cabbage gets along very well with ham -- and if you're cool with ham, then you're cool with me. I decided to go with a cabbage soup, but I had to cheat like crazy because I've been neglecting my duties as the resident grocery shopper and the cupboards are pretty bare as a result.
Get ready for a random ingredients list:
- one 8-oz. pack of diced ham
- 1 cup water
- the seasoning from a Lipton chicken soup packet (We were out of bouillon cubes, so I just fished out the seasoning. A few stray noodles snuck in, but noodles don't cause trouble! Of course, if you have some bouillon in stock, fancypants, go ahead and use that.)
- half a head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp Papa Joe's salt (or a mix of sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- half a bag of steam-in-the-bag carrots
- 1 can of Campbell's Select Harvest tomato basil soup
Boil the cabbage in a pot of water until it gets wilted. Then strain the water and add everything else listed above (including a cup of water). Let it simmer until it's all hot, then eat.
Dude, I could totally do the cabbage soup diet. I've never liked anything with cabbage (stuffed cabbage? cole slaw? ugh) but THIS WAS DELICIOUS. I was all...