Saturday, February 25, 2012

READING: Lucky

This week's read:

Lucky was published 13 years ago, so you probably already know the basics: It's the memoir of Alice Sebold's violent rape during her freshman year of college. I have to admit, I've borrowed this book from the library at least twice -- once immediately after reading Lovely Bones, and again about a year ago -- and returned it unread. I knew it would be a disturbing story, and I knew how candid and graphic Sebold's writing style is, so I was a little bit intimidated by that combo. I already spend a good part of my day convinced that ninja burglars are hiding in my house. Suffice to say, I'm not good with scary stories. And nothing's scarier than a true story.

But I finally committed to reading it, and IT IS FANTASTIC. That deserves caps-lock. I literally couldn't put it down. I bawled when she won her rape trial. (That's not a spoiler. The info is readily available on the back of the book jacket, and on Wikipedia, and a million other places.) I was completely shocked by the bizarre twist of fate that happens afterwards. I stayed up past midnight to finish it. It's not a happy ending in the tidy sense, but it was still strangely uplifting for a book that begins, "In the tunnel where I was raped...a girl had been murdered and dismembered." I can't do it justice, but I fully recommend it.

Two random notes, since it's 12:47 a.m. and I'm too tired to weave them into this post in any sort of organic way:
  • I thought it was cool that she mentioned Aimee Bender in the acknowledgements -- An Invisible Sign of My Own was one of my favorite books.
  • I bought this book for $3 at the Book Swap Cafe, once of my favorite places in Medford. If you happen to be local, go there. It's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment