Saturday, February 6, 2010

RECIPE: Easy-Cheesy Potatoes

Velveeta is like my bad-boy crush. I know it's wrong, but I can't resist. I was in a comfort-food mood last night, so these scalloped potatoes are full of bad choices. I'll do penance at the gym next week, I promise.
  • 2 cans of sliced white potatoes (low-sodium)
  • 6-8 slices of bacon
  • 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
  • a cup or two of cubed Velveeta (about 2/3 of the big bar)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
Fry the bacon; don't spill the fat on the hot burner and almost burn down your kitchen like I did. Shred it and add it to your slow cooker with all the other ingredients. Cook on LOW for 2 hours, or until the cheese is all melty. It may seem a little thin while it's cooking, but once you remove the lid and let it cool for a minute or two, the "pasteurized cheese product" will magically attempt to reconstitute itself, creating a thick, gooey sauce. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment